Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Scott's first email from his first area 9/11/12

Some of the highlights from Scottie's email:

wow I don't even know where to start.  So we went to the mission home last Wenseday and then me and another Elder got on a tro tro or a big van.  Then they hauled us up to Odeben which is this little town surrounded by jungle.  It brought tears to my eyes when I saw what they were living in.  It is crazy how we have so much.  Mom I will never complain anymore.  After seeing how they live it is crazy to think of home.  Anyway our apartment has cement floors and there is lighting.  Also there is no running water but the mission president is trying to get some to us.  We just draw water from the well.  We have to live like them for two years we don't get much money to use but don't worry it is enough.  I have to tell you about the people.  They are so nice.  I never feel threatened.  In America no one is happy.  These people have nothing yet they would do anything for you.  Sometimes I get tears in my eyes.  I really do love these people.  There are four white missionaries and we are the only whites in the whole town and the little kids say o bruiny o bruiny and they run up and touch our skin and shake our hands.  They are so cute.  It makes me cry because they eat day to day and may not get food for one day.  Also we have been teaching some awesome people.  They love the gospel and they latch onto it because they don't have anything else.  I will be baptizing four people on September 30th.  Two 18 year old boys and two 30 year old women.  It is crazy.  I can't believe that is happening already.  There will be some the next month or so also.  It is hot here but oh well.  Sorry if I didn't answer all of your questions.  I will get to that next week.  p.s traffic here is nuts.  You have to walk on the side of the road and cars fly by about a foot away.  It doesn't bother me anymore though.  Also on those Tro Tros they seat about ten people but usually when we ride we carry about twenty.  Yeah hot and sweaty is right.  Well I love you guys and hope all goes well.  Tell the family that I say hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment